Monday, March 2, 2009

Pregnancy is the new Lent!

Jimmy's sermon yesterday and and the discussion after really had me cracking up. I have been racking my brain about what I should "give up" for lent, something that would bring me closer to God. Hmmmm....as people talked about giving up drinking, sugar or worrying (good luck!), I thought hold it. I am a walking poster for lent. At 8 1/2 months pregnant I have given up many things, drinking, eating too much sugar, and recently bending down to pick something up! Pregnancy has slowed me down. I can't walk too far, go too far, busy myself with too many things...instead I am reflective, taking care of myself, and napping! all things I would NEVER do unless I was carrying a child!!

Being pregnant has brought me closer to God. I am relying on him more to take care of me, thinking about all the things I am grateful for, and hopeful for my baby girl on the way. There's a lot of trust going on between me and the big man right now. I am "listening up", I am not distracted. I am connected to God, I think he designed it this way!

Yes, I still worry, get cranky, and emotional, but the truth is I have to rely on God right now. Pregnancy is a very "Out of control state" and I am a very 'In control" person. This may be the perfect exercise for a type A-er like me!

After I have the baby I will probably go back to my old ways, but I am hoping I can remember how it feels to have nine (really ten people) months of lent. I highly recommend it.

Liz

No comments: