Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Leaping into the new

Did you know we are having a “leap second” on New Year’s Eve 2008?

I’m not sure it’s going to make the last few hours of the year and all its deadlines any easier, but I vote we jump on the anomaly and take sort of a Sadie Hawkin’s approach to New Year’s Resolutions. You know, turn everything upside down and inside out, like having the girls invite the boys to the dance.

I’ll offer my own not-your-mother’s list of resolutions:

1) I will not promise to meet every deadline someone waves in my face like a red cape in front of a bull.
2) At the end of every day I will try to remember to think about at least one thing I did right instead of all the things I could have done better.
3) I will try to make enough space in my life to let friends, and maybe even strangers, help me from time to time.
4) I’ll stop worrying that the housekeeping police are going to discover what God already knows – that I am not a neat and tidy person.

But the biggest trick of all will be remembering on bad days and good that I am In and beloved by God, list or no list.

That Christmas Star still shines. Maybe this is the year we will let it light our path all year to getting out of our own way and being more than we ever thought we could be.

Blessings to all of you and yours for a wonderful and unexpected 2009 . . . .

No comments: