Wednesday, December 3, 2008

One foot in front of the other

Perhaps some of you have noticed: I'm a bit of an action junkie. Not a high-speed adrenaline type action junkie, but a when-the-going-gets-tough-find-something-to-do type junkie. What’s this about? I’m not sure I’ll ever ferret out the existential “why,” but I thought I'd share some of what I have figured out:

1) Making little goals that I can accomplish feels much better than wallowing in my inability to accomplish something else.

2) Focusing my energy on something I can do keeps me from fussing about what I can’t.

3) Not spending energy on fussing leaves me open to recognize when a better response to the original thing comes along . . . .

I sometimes think we don’t walk enough. Not because of the health benefits, though they are surely valuable, but because it’s the best way I know to remember that most things progress one step at a time.

When we are doing things that don’t have such clearly delineated “steps,” I think we forget and think that the problem lies in the giant leap we are failing to make.

Such leaps happen, but not very often – and even then, understanding what they mean and what to do with, or about, them may take centuries: Newton had his apple but it took the Wright Brothers to learn to fly!

Walking the Labyrinth is a wonderful exercise . . . . It’s the longest possible path from point A to point B, and when you can slow yourself down to do it really one step at a time, it is also wonderfully meditative.

A lot, I think, like life – and probably even faith.

No comments: